Last night, I came to watch an episode of Mad Hungry and it features the Mac and Cheese recipe. The episode made me crave for mac and cheese so I made one tonight.
I tried to follow the recipe the host did but I need to improvise because I can only buy certain things. So instead of using grated cheddar cheese (I have no grater in the apartment) and cayenne pepper, I bought pimiento cheese spread. So the moment I got home, I prepped up things and started to make one.
Here’s how I did it:
- I boiled the macaroni on water with a tablespoon of oil and a tablespoon of salt. Drained it after it was cook. It took me around 5 minutes.
- I prepared the roux by mixing 3 chunks of butter and 3 tablespoon of flour on a preheated pan.
- I added the 2 little boxes of milk (Note to myself: The milk must be preheated just like what Mad Hungry did. It took me forever to even out the flour-butter mix).
- The roux seemed so thin so I added 1.5 tablespoon of flour and I got an almost-pancake like batter, but what the hell. I continued to mix it in low heat until it’s even. I turned off the fire.
- I added the cheese spread to the roux and mixed it slowly until its all smooth.
- I mixed the sauce and the macaroni and voila! Macaroni and Cheese!
We ate the mac and cheese while we are watching Paranormal Activity 3 in HBO. Hey, it’s Halloween so we tried to scare ourselves. It scared the hell out of me but the mac and cheese was so good I ended up spilling some sauce.
I have to be honest, my mac and cheese was not perfect. There is too much sauce and too less of macaroni. But nevertheless, it tasted fine. Shared some to my roommates and they think it was great. Although it was not that perfect, I think I did well in my first attempt. I think I’ll add a little bit of salt to the roux next time.
So tell me how do you make your Mac and Cheese? Any suggestion for a chef-wannabee here?